Toll Free: 800-514-0066

Subsidized Housing

Subsidized housing is rent-geared-to-income where the amount of rent paid is determined by your income and not by the size or type of accommodation. Most subsidized housing complexes require 30% of your current income for rent. There are many subsidized housing complexes in Green County. For a complete list, please call the ADRC. This list also includes details about the apartments like what is included in the rent, if air conditioners are available, allow pets, number of floors, if an elevator is available, etc.  Availability at these housing complexes vary day-to-day so you must contact each individually to check on availability.  You should also inquire about a waitlist if you are particularly interested in a complex. Talk with the landlord about the application process.

Section 8 Housing or Housing Choice Vouchers

What are housing choice vouchers?

The housing choice voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies(PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

Am I eligible?

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family’s income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income. Median income levels are published by HUD and vary by location. The PHA serving your community can provide you with the income limits for your area and family size.

During the application process, the PHA will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition. The PHA will verify this information with other local agencies, your employer and bank, and will use the information to determine program eligibility and the amount of the housing assistance payment

If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher.

How do I apply?

If you are interested in applying for a voucher, contact the Allegiant Property Management.  They have been contracted by WHEDA to oversee the Section 8 Voucher program in Green County.  This is not done at Green County Human Services.  This office is located in LaCrescent, Minnesota and they will mail applications if needed.  When contacting them state that you are interested in information on the Section 8 housing voucher in Green County and to place your name on the waiting list.  Their mailing information is:  Allegiant Property Management, 412 South 3rd Street, LaCrescent, MN 55947.  You can call them toll free at 608-784-1381.

Assisted Living Options

There are three different type of assisted living;

  • Community Based Residential Facility (CBRF)
  • Adult Family Home (AFH)
  • Residential Care Apartment Complex (RCAC)

All offer different levels of care.  For more information on the differences please see the Assisted Living page.  For a list of assisted living options in Green County please give us a call and we can discuss it over the phone or mail one out to you.

Nursing Homes

We have three nursing homes in Green County:

  • Monroe Health Services (formally known as Monroe Manor)
  • New Glarus Home
  • Pleasant View Nursing Home

If you need contact information on any of these, please give us a call.  There is also a program that could be available to a person currently in a nursing home called Nursing Home Relocation.  This is a program that could allow a person to be relocated out of the nursing home on a long-term care program that would provide supports in the community to allow the person to live more independently in the community.


Green County Housing

Green County Housing packet contains listings from surrounding newspapers. Click button below and then click on Housing Packet.